Arnica, the mountain-loving herb, is characterised by its widely recognisable yellow, daisy-like flowers. However, the herb has been used throughout history for its wide range of health benefits and applications.
The following are some facts you may not know about Arnica:
1. Arnica contains more than 150 active components, including alkaloids, amines, carbohydrates, coumarins, flavonoids and helenalin sesquiterpenes. These components form the basis of why arnica is a widely used homoeopathic ingredient in ointments, creams and gels.
2. Arnica has been approved in the treatment of injury and accidents. Specifically, it can help with bruising and swelling.
3. Due to it’s counter-irritant properties, arnica is excellent in the treatment of sprains, strains, and rheumatoid complaints.
4. Arnica has been found to be as effective as NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) in improving pain and hand function in hand osteoarthritis.
5. Furthermore, studies have shown that arnica flowers are generally effective in treating muscle aches and pains.
6. Arnica has shown both analgesic and antiseptic qualities.
7. It is best used topically. Arnica can be toxic if taken internally.